A couple weeks ago I was in desperate need for some mindless sewing. It had been so busy at work and had about a million other things going on so I just wanted a project that I really didn’t have to think much about. I just wanted to cut up fabric from my stash (see, already mindless because I didn’t have to think about coordinating fabric at the shop), and sew up something I could get done in a couple of days. I must not be alone in wanting this kind of sewing on occasion right?
So I clicked on over to My Pinterest page for some inspiration. While I was there, I found this pin I’d pinned quite a few months back. I was so glad I had the patience to scroll all the way through my huge list of pins to find this one. I knew it was a perfect project for the weird funk I was in.
Super simple blocks in an adorable layout. I just loved it! So I grabbed a pretty little stack of fabrics I’d gotten back on my trip up north, added a large teal polka dot I had in my stash and a white Kona solid and got started.
The quilt top was finished in next to no time! I got it done in one evening. I was so pleased with it I even talked myself into quilting it on my own too. But that wasn’t too hard to do since I’d also pinned this awesome quilting design on my Pinterest that I had wanted to try out for some time now. And since this project was relatively small and totally manageable for me to handle on my machine, I thought I’d give it a try.
The pin described it as a herringbone-quilting pattern and I thought it would look really great on this super simple, big block quilt. Here’s how mine turned out. The quilting pattern on the front of my quilt almost makes it look like ruffles. It’s sort of soft and feminine with the floral prints and ruffle-like texture but also, dare I say modern…with the big blocks and straight-line quilting.
The herringbone quilting wasn’t actually that hard to do but I hit a few snags along the way. I haven’t done too much quilting on my new Viking machine and was having a hard time trying to figure out the bobbin thread tension. I’m kind of bummed since I bought this fantastic teal Kona solid and really wanted the quilting to shine on the back.
Even if it’s not perfect, I thought it was worth sharing what I was experiencing. You can see little spots where my top thread is loose on the back. I asked a couple ladies at the shop their thoughts. My friend Susan who has the same version Viking machine as I do told me that she thinks the buttons on the front of my machine might help adjust that tension I was having a hard time adjusting. I’m going to have to practice on some scrap pieces to figure it out for the future.
Such a happy quilt though! Overall, I’m super happy with it. I love love love the color combo and it was nice to not think too much through the whole process. It’s been a nice little breather of a project. It actually turned out to be a perfect size for a table topper too. I know the blogger Christine (www.christinechitnis.com) made hers as a baby quilt but I think I might just put mine out on our dining table for the spring season.